Sunday, August 21, 2011

Easy Eggplant and Zucchini Lasagna


I started by making my cheesey filling. I rarely use measurements when cooking so please forgive me. In a bowl, I mixed ricotta cheese and sauteed mushrooms, onions & garlic. I added a bit of fresh thyme & rosemary and salt & pepper to taste.

I then sliced 1 zucchini  and half of a large eggplant into slice lengthwise. I wanted this lasagna to be a bit heart so my slices were close to 1/4” thick.

For my tomato sauce, I used a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and a can of plain tomato sauce. I added roughly chopped garlic, rosemary, pepper, garlic salt, pepper and dried Italian seasonings. I topped it all off with some good extra virgin olive oil.

I took out a medium glass baking dish and began to make my layers. To save time I used no boil lasagna pasta. I started with a bit of sauce in the bottom of the dish and placed a layer of pasta on top. I then began alternating between zucchini, riccota mixture, shredded mozzarella, grated romano cheese, eggplant and sauce. The use of zucchini and eggplant also cuts down on the amount of carbs in the dish because you use less of the lasagna pasta.

You want to top everything off with the last of your sauce, mozarella and romano cheese. I placed it in an oven I preheated to 375 degrees and baked it for about 45-50 mins. During the last 5 minutes of cook time, I switched the oven setting to boil so that the cheese on top could get a nice golden brown.

The end result is an ooey, gooey cheesy lasagna. Let is sit for about 5-10 minutes before cutting. With the eggplant and zucchini you really wont miss the meat. Eat it solo topped with extra romano chese or with a nice salad of mixed greens with a vinaigrette. 


No comments:

Post a Comment